Monday, November 5, 2012

Matthew 6:25-34

Worry! Worry changes everything!! Yeah, worry! Worry changes everything! Oh wait, that's supposed to be money right? Darn, yeah that is supposed to be money. Well, it's been years since I've listened to Cyndi Lauper sing that song, but this Cindy could make *worry changes everything* her theme song for the last month.

 Look, worry changes nothing but your blood pressure in an upward spike. Now, I know this. I've heard sermons on this. I've got Godly friends who pray for me and with me. But recently I got the wind knocked out of me, and well, I've been nothing short of a worry wart. Yeah, such a Christian thing to do huh? Not.

 Has my situation changed any because I chose to worry? No. Has it even made one iota of a difference whatsoever? No. I mean, folks, let me be blunt. If worry was an Olympic sport I would have a gold medal, I would be making the rounds on all the late night talks shows, on the box of Wheaties biting my fingernails, and yours truly would be the next quasi-celeb on Dancing with the Stars due to my awesome worry super powers. But with all of my fabulous worry ways one fact remains clear. My situation has not changed and I'm an anxious miserable mess.

 Worry is natural for me. I want to control this. I want to fix this. I can't stand not knowing. So in my natural mind if I can't see what's ahead, it's going to turn out bad for me, and thus worry creeps in and sets up a cozy three bedroom 2 bath home in my mind complete with a gameroom and fabulous kitchen. Worry doesn't even has to ask me I just let it come in and rent free at that!

 Okay, I'm trying to inject some humor in my situation. Sorry, I march to beat of my own drummer - always have and always will. But this morning upon waking up, the worry thoughts began to come. What if? worry worry. What will happen? worry worry? Again and again for several minutes until it had been at least an hour and here I was training for another Gold medal in worry. Then the still small voice spoke into my thoughts and touched my heart. It said to me *Take it one day at a time with Me.*

 One day at a time? Hmmm. That's a Christy Lane song right - yeah that commercial for her song had a life of about 20 years so it's ingrained into mind. Okay, let me reason this. (Of course the still small voice spoke to me and I'm going to reason with it - ). I reached for my bible and went to Matthew 6:35 and read this: “Give your entire attention to what God is doing right now, and don’t get worked up about what may or may not happen tomorrow. God will help you deal with whatever hard things come up when the time comes." 

 I allowed this scripture to resonate in my heart. I asked the Lord to forgive me for not fully casting my care on Him and to please help me. Throughout my day, when the worry thoughts would come, I declared Matthew 6:34 and confessed it over my situation. Nothing about my situation is taking God by surprise. God knows exactly what I need, when I will need it, and will give me the words to say at the right moment. 

 It takes the same amount of energy to worry than it does to believe and trust God. Worry is exhausting to your being. Believing and trusting God is refreshing to your soul. Alrighty, it's one.day.at.a.time. That I can do and I know God will never ask me to face anything that He has not equipped me to overcome. 

 Melody to One day at a Time. One day at a time, sweet Jesus That's all I'm asking from you Give me the strength to do everything that I have to do Yesterday's gone sweet Jesus And tomorrow may never be mine Help me today Show me the way One day at a time. 

 God Bless, Cindy

No comments:

Post a Comment